Never set up security code - can't access admin panel

Trying to log into my admin account. I set up 2FA, and have the code for that, but I don’t recall ever setting up a six-digit security code, which it’s now asking me to use to log in. Tried several possibilities that I would have used to no avail. Is there any way to access the admin panel without the six digit security code?

I have the exact same issue and support does not help us, this is not good and is not a good signal from the Prey staff.

1 Like

This thread gives something that helped one person, but I tried it and the code Authenticator generated didn’t work for me.

The 6 digit security code is randomly generated by Google Authenticator, the app you need to activate the 2 Step Authenticator. If you don’t have the app anymore, you will need the recovery code that Prey sent to you at the moment you activated the two step authenticator. With that code, go to the option “Lost your mobile device”, There you will be able to login with your credentials! Sorry for the delay, let me know if I can help you with anything else! Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Yay, that worked for me, although I never set up the two-step authentication. But, I used the recovery code I received when I first set up Prey on my devices, then was able to log in using my password and recovery code through “Lost your mobile device”.

So, if I don’t set up 2FA, I’ll have to use this method every time to log into the control panel, then, since I won’t ever have a 6-digit code, correct? I did receive a new recovery code via e-mail when I logged in. If so, that seems strange; why do I need a 6-digit code to log in when I don’t have 2FA activated?

If you don’t have the two step authentication, you don’t need to use the 6 digit code. Did you set up the verification again with the QR code? Please let me know! I will be glad to help you :slight_smile: Have a nice day!

You’re correct!

Once I accessed my account, I enabled 2FA using Google Authenticator successfully. I then disabled 2FA. Logging back out of the admin panel and then back in, it didn’t ask me for a 6-digit code.

The weird thing is: I don’t think I ever set up 2FA in the first place, which is why I was confused when I tried to log into the admin panel and it asked for a 6-digit code.

But, now it doesn’t, so all’s good!

1 Like

hi i have problem. cant used recovery code also

Hello, please help me. I have the same issue. I never set up 2FA, don’t use Google Authentication and can’t access my account with my “Lock code”. I was previously a subscribing user (for years) and I thin I’m now just a free user, but still I need to access the admin sight to change settings and update myself to what Prey does now, to see if I really still need since I haven’t even tested for a while that it works.

Hi @smsm and @jel888, I have already sent you a message :slight_smile: Please check!

Okay, done & thanks for your prompt reply!

How do I do that without sharing it in the open here? When I replied to your mail it says your address is a noreply?

Hi there. You need to send a private message to @Daniela here, not an email. Click on her profile picture and you’ll be able to do so.

1 Like

Ho @jel888, I sent you a direct message a few days ago, please check your messages :slight_smile: upper right corner! :point_up:

1 Like

Daniela, please send me a security code as well. I can’t access my account, because it requires a 6 digit security code. I don’t recall setting a security code. Please send it. Thanks.

Please send me this code also, I think I did actually activated the 2FA authentication but I don’t have my old phone with google authenticator anymore.

Hi guys! Could you please send me an email to help@preyproject.com! I can disable the 2FA, but I need some information about your account. Have a nice day!