Can login to the website but not android app, even though device is linked

EDIT: Location tracking works sometimes now, but I am still not able to login to the android app meaning I am unable to access its settings to enable features such as disabling power off.

Hey, first time here

I’ve been trying to set up Prey on an android device but am running into problems and am wondering if anyone would be able to help.

I have the app set up with all permissions and it says “Current Status PROTECTED”, but when I try to press the login button in the app and it asks for credentials, it says “Invalid Credentials” every time, even though I am able to sign in to the website and am sure I’m using the same password.

On the website, the device shows up on my account and I can do all of the actions (lock, send notification, see battery % etc), except for tracking its location. When I try to update the location it says “Unable to get device location on time”. It is connected to WiFi, and I get the “Device is actively protected by Prey” notification. I also get the warning on the phone that prey is accessing its location, but this location never appears on the website.

I’m running GrapheneOS (Android 13) on a Google Pixel 6a. I’ve tried:

• Disabling VPNs
  • Re-installing the app
  • Updating the app
  • Updating the OS
  • Restarting the device
  • Removing and re-adding the device to my account
  • Changing my password
  • Giving Prey device admin permissions
  • Giving location and sensor permissions to Google Play Services

Any tips would be appreciated, thank you

Since 2021, I haven’t been able to log into my account, PC or android app.

No one ever replies to customer service/help, but they keep charging me $5 every month. I even replied to the emails/invoice they send, but no reply.

I’ve already contacted my CC company and filed a fraud report and they blocked them from charging me $5 every month since I was paying for a service I wasn’t receiving.

I would suggest you cancel your subscription with them. The company probably isn’t even in business anymore, and are banking on autopay customers that can’t cancel it bc no one is there to help, etc.

1 Like