Does Prey just work if connected online?

As important as prey can be in a loss or theft situation, it appears to have one huge weakness. It appears to only be good if the device is online.
Am I correct on that?
I ask because previously I did read somewhere that It can work through a phone connection. I hope that is correct. But I cannot make that work.
So if it can work via phone line also, please explain how.
Jerry

Hi!
Prey needs a connection to work properly, on mobile devices could be the GPS or a Wifi network.
Also, it has to be turned on to send reports, as any similar app we need a way to send the information. This answered your question?
Please let me know if I can help you with anything else! :slight_smile:

If I understand your reply Daniela, I do NOT need to be connected to wifi AS LONG AS my phone is set for GPS on. With my Huawei, the GPS settings are under Location Services / Mode and the option Use GPS, Wi-FI and Mobile Networks option is set to ON.
I use Prey for my laptop and my phone. When I log on to Prey and choose Devices, and then choose my laptop (which is online) it finds the laptop. But when I choose my phone when wifi is OFF, it does not find the phone even though the GPS is on. But as soon as I turn on the wifi, Prey immediately finds my phone.
Is there anything I can do?

Hi, I’m very sorry for the inconvenience, I have already sent you a DM :slight_smile:
Please check!

Hi @jmagill01, please check your email :slight_smile:

Daniela, I uninstalled and then reinstalled Prey on my phone yesterday early evening. And then I waited until this morning to do the screen shots so you can see the difference in time between my laptop and the phone. So per shot-1 you can see that the laptop was just found by Prey (connected to wifi) but the phone’s connection was 16 hours ago when also connected to wifi. I turned off wifi on the phone yesterday after reinstall which is why the 16 hour difference.

I then opened the phone location and hit Update Location. Shot-2 shows that the location was unable to be updated. That was with GPS On (I never turned it off) and wifi off (since yesterday evening)

Then I turned wifi on this morning. Prey immediately found the phone as shot-3 shows.

I THINK the screen shots have uploaded here. I am also sending this to your Help… email.

Maybe just the last screen shot uploaded. I can only do one at a time here? All 3 are attached to my Help… email

Hmm

Shot-3 is in my first reply. Shot-1 in my 2nd. Shot-2 here.

HI @jmagill01, I have already aswered your email :slight_smile:

And I just replied to that email