iOS profile installation (APNS)

Let us help you. Please tell us about…

• Affected device (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone): iPhone
  • Operating system (Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, Ubuntu, Fedora): iOS
  • Part of Prey not working (Prey account, mobile app, a specific action or module, reports): Profile installation (APNS)

Could you please describe the problem?

Trying to install profile, receiving the following error upon installation (see screenshot). Translation: Error installing profile. Could not establish connection to the server.

And finally, please attach a screenshot if available (you can drag and drop images)

I installed the APNS profile but I am unable to enrol in order to activate the management features (lock,wipe)
When I login to my account and select my device I don’t see the additional features in the right panel below Actions. I have used the ‘Send Message’ option. I have received it in my device and reconnected to the server. However, in my laptop it is showing ‘this action is pending’ next to ‘send message’.

This link doesn’t address the issue which is to do with enrol/activation. Profile is installed

I have the same issue.

Can’t install the MDM profile on iPhone 6, iOS 11, due to “cannot establish connection to the server”. See screenshot:

I have tried everything, reinstalling prey, deleting device and retrying, testing to install the MDM profile using different wifi points, 4G connection, and DNS servers (google dns and opendns). Nothing works. Pasting the enrolment/ota Link into the browser manually returns a 404 error, is this the problem?

Well, I received the email which told me that my certificate was about to expire.
I went through the procedure described on your website.
But I never saw a step where I sent a message to the remote device.

Anyway, I see on your website that I do have an Apple Push Cert which expires next year (January 2020)

On my iPhone 8plus, I see under Settings, General, Profiles & Device Management… there is an item for Remote Management by Prey, Inc.
and underneath MDM Vendor there is a green Check mark.

However, on my iPad Air 2, which should be part of the same Prey account, that similar entry says “Not Verified”.
Please advise how to fix this.

By the way, Prey does seem to update the proper location for both of those ios devices, as well as my Win 7 laptop.

Thank you.

Here is a useful video on enrolling iOS devices to an MDM.

hey alphaC thanks for posting about this. i was wondering why my iPhone SE (1st gen) was showing “Not Verified” also and i didn’t notice it before. maybe they don’t verify profiles for older devices? is your 8plus still showing verified? thanks!

Well, I don’t look at Prey very often because I have not lost any devices.
But your message prompted me to look a the iPhone 8plus.
So this is all very confusing to me.

Settings, General, Device Management, Remote Management has only one entry = “Prey, Inc.”
When I click on that button, It says
Signed by "MDM Vendor: Prey, Inc. NOT VERIFIEDD
Description iOS Mobile Service
Contains Mobile Device Management Device Identity Certificate
and then I can click on “More Details”
which shows the following
URL: https://panel.preyproject.com/mdm/connect
Device Identity Certificate: a bunch of numbers and letters, Issued by MDM CA, Expires in 2023
and then underneath that it says “Signing Certificates” followed by two entries
first entry says
MDM Vendor: Prey, Inc. EXPIRED in 2019
and the second entry says
Apple Worldwide DeveloperRelations, issued by Apple Root CA, expires in 2023.

So I am wondering if I should take any action at all.

Hopefully a PREY employee can explain what to do.

Thanks alphaC for confirming that your iPhone 8plus no longer shows the profile as verified. I think mine used to say verified a couple years back, but I hadn’t checked in a while and now it is also not verified.

However, under “Signing Certificates” mine says the Prey one expires 2022 though, a year after I renewed, so perhaps you should still renew yours?

I hope so too!