Mac Location incorrect in Prey, but accurate in Google Maps, and iCloud

Hi Carlos

since we don’t want to transfer that cost to our free users, we’re using an strategy

this sounded like it´s a free-user-issue … so I changed to “paid user”. But the Geolocation is still very much off … ?

Running win10 on a brandnew pc-laptop

kind regards

Hi Carlos,

OK, so I ran into another problem, that Prey stopped altogether when I upgraded my Mac to High Sierra. The patch didn’t seem to do anything, but I downloaded and installed the latest version and now Prey is working again and has an accurate fix on the location as well. Thanks.

Best wishes,

Ian

Hi Ian,

That’s weird. The problem updating MacOS happens because Prey runs under its own no-login user, and Apple, on every OS update, just deletes this kind of users causing Prey to stop running. The patch checks for the Prey user, and if it doesn’t exist, the patch creates the user again.
This problem was fixed on the last release, so this problem should happen again.

Good news about the location accuracy. We started refreshing the locations cache last week, and it seems it’s working great :wink:

Best,
Carlos

Prey version 1.7.2 on Mac laptop - location is wrong by about 5 miles (and is correct on Google Maps). Just letting you know so you can refresh the databases.

Just letting you folks know my location is still incorrect.

Hi, after not having had problems for a couple years, both my devices are showing up in the prey panel in the wrong locations (seveeral miles away) even though my location is fine in Google Maps. Prey 1.9.2, Mac OS 10.10.5 - 10.11.x (Disabling Little Snitch didn’t help). Does your database need refreshing?

The weird thing is that on one of my devices (the other one belongs to my son and it’s off right now so I can’t test) the locations was OK sometimes and then not OK after a couple of location update requests,

Update:
Both my devices are at my home and one was OK.

But I am getting inconsistent location results with the other. More often than not the location is off by many miles even though its location is correct on google maps. I tried different browsers and different users and I can’t figure out what makes the location correct vs. not correct. I have a vague sense that when the computer sees fewer networks the location might be right more often, but I can’t be sure.

Most of the networks I am seeing are small home networks, if that makes any difference.

I have this issue also, any solution?

I went thru all kinds of troubleshooting steps with no joy. Eventually the problem went away. I think it’s an issue on Prey’s side. I did contact help, which wasn’t very helpful b/c they told me to run cat /etc/prey/prey.conf /var/log/prey.log and get back to them but they never got back to me after that. But contacting them could alert them that they may have a problem with their location database. Also, not related, but FWIW, if you’re running on a Silicon Mac, Prey runs on Rosetta 2 and there are issues with help desk’s ability to troubleshot now. Some of the troubleshooting steps they recently sent me don’t work in Rosetta 2.

Problem exists in Windows 11 x64 on Dell XPS13 laptop, using latest version of Win 11 OS and latest version of Windows Prey (v. 1.11.6): Google Maps shows correct location, but Prey shows me miles away.

After update to 1.11.7 my location is off by 35 mi.
Got only canned response from help desk.

My M1 Mac Mini shows an incorrect location in Prey, about 800 km away.
Apple and google maps show correct location.

If it is using wifi networks to determine locations, (it can only see mine and my neighbors) then it should cross reference those networks on my iphone, which can then be correlated to my iphone’s GPS location.

macOS 13.5.2
Prey v1.11.9

Still a problem in an 2020 Intel MBP’s macOS Ventura v13.6.4 with Prey v1.12.1. :frowning:

my locations are OK on two silicon macs running Big Sur and Monterey and latest version of Prey, 1.12.1

Try updating Prey - I have found that the automatic update process sometimes chokes (and that the directions given by the help desk ( sudo /usr/local/lib/prey/current/bin/prey config upgrade ) to force an update didn’t work 6 months ago probably b/c they required Rosetta 2 and somehow that didn’t work). So when the automatic process chokes, I have to download the new version and install from scratch.

That said, updating Prey has never helped me with this problem in the past, but letting the help desk know (even if they don’t respond) that they may have a problem with their location database might - and for them to take you seriously you have to be using the latest version of Prey.

Only tincture of time has solved this problem for me in the past so when it happens, I just make sure I have the latest version of Prey, tell help desk and wait.