Mint Linux install

this is a continuation of another topic “How to install Linux Client”. For some reason I cannot post a reply to an existing thread…

I ran the command :
sudo /usr/lib/prey/current/bin/prey config panel
and the system successfully connected to via the web interface. However my computer is still not listed in the device list. The web response afte selecting my email for an existing account was :
We couldn’t complete the setup because the device didn’t connect to Prey, don’t worry, it will do so automatically when it reaches Prey’s servers.

HI @John_Spoonhower,
I’m gonna test Prey on linux mint, in the meantime can you tell me how did you installed prey? Which command did you use?
Regards,
Javo

Hi Javo,
From the website https://panel.preyproject.com/app I clicked to add a device to my existing account. From the drop-down list I selected the Linux (Ubuntu) version.
The package prey_1.8.1_amd64.deb downloaded; I installed using the standard package manager. From a terminal I execute the command: sudo /usr/lib/prey/current/bin/prey config panel. The command executes with response: Firing up config panel!
A browser tab will now open and direct you to the device link process. If you encounter any issue please visit:
https://help.preyproject.com/article/257-how-to-troubleshoot-a-desktop-prey-configuration. A web page comes up; I click on the my email (ID for existing account), and I (always) get a failure to connect message: We couldn’t complete the setup because the device didn’t connect to Prey, don’t worry, it will do so automatically when it reaches Prey’s servers.

Javo, BTW there are multiple emails to root that all say : /bin/bash: /usr/lib/prey/prey.sh: No such file or directory.
regards, John

I assume there’s been no development on this topic based upon the lack of response. I see a fair amount of packet being sent to prey from the affected machine but no acknowledgement of successful connection at the web site.
I will remove prey in the next few days.

Hi guys,

I’ve created a fix, see Mint/Ubuntu easy installer for you all!