Mobile.phone not added to devices

I have a Google Pixel 2XL running Android Pie.

The app seems to be working fine. But I am unable to add the phone to the list of devices. I already have a desktop and Samsung Android tablet working well.

I go through the process of adding the phone, says I need to download the app (which is already on the device) and I get the screen with the QR code.

I’ve tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it but still won’t add this device.

Thoughts? Help?

Hi! Could you please:

1. Go to Android Settings > Security & Location > Device admin apps and disable Prey as one of them.
  2. Go to Android Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Prey > Storage and clear data.
  3. Go to step #1 and reenable Prey as an admin app.
  4. Open the Prey app again. It’ll ask for your email and password, and that will get the device added to your Prey account once you wish the process.

(Instructions could be a bit different depending on your Android version.)

The problem is caused by Google’s cloud backup, which restored the config file from your old Android device into the new one. These steps will force the new unit to be added.

Please let me know how it goes!

1 Like

It worked like a charm. Followed those instructions exactly and it worked first time.
Thank you very much.

:smiley:

Daniela,

Above procedure also fixes a New Pixel 2 not adding to devices when you migrate all of your apps and data via google’s USB connection off your old Nexus5x. apparently PREY came over thinking it was still stuck inside that old Nexus 5x!

Thanks again for your continued support!

Hi @Pauley, Could you please go to the Device Management tab on your Prey account, and disable the ‘Identify devices when linking option, and then reinstall? :slight_smile: Let me know how it goes!