"node" process consumes 95 to 105% CPU when latest Prey is installed on Big Sur 11.0.1

Higher CPU usage with “node” process which consumes 95 to 105% when Prey is installed on Big Sur 11.0.1, MacBook Pro 2018

As soon I uninstall Prey using the command mentioned on this link, “node” process disappears and fan stops spinning,

“sudo /usr/local/lib/prey/current/bin/prey config hooks pre_uninstall && sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/prey /var/log/prey.log /etc/prey”

I have no choice to uninstall Prey until a solution is found. Please help with any advice. Thanks so much in advance :grinning:

1 Like

I have the same problem, is there any update on this?

Hi @jutulen @stamatgeorge,

We’re reviewing this issue now and should be fixed for the next release this week, it would be great if you guys could help us check the fix, if you can please write to me to javo@preyhq.com so I can tell you how to do it, we’d really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,
Javo

2 Likes

I see the same thing in Activity Monitor with preyproject task “prx”. MacOS 11.1.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem with Prey and my iMac 2017 5K 27".

I’m using the latest version of Big Sur 11.3.1 and tried 2 versions of Prey (v1.9.9 and v1.9.10). The “prx” process was consuming about 99% of CPU according to Activity Monitor. I have had to uninstall Prey on this computer and now it seems everything is back to normal.

Is there any solution for this?

From what i’ve been told from PreyProject is that there are no solution for this issue right now :cry: Hoping for a miracle.

Still happening with the latest version of Prey v1.9.13. Although it is supposed to be compatible with Big Sur, this problem persists. Unusable!

We have uninstalled Prey from our 6 laptops and we haven’t looked back. Too many challenges with Prey and high cpu is a major one. We’re looking for an alternative.

Thank you for keeping us updated and saving us the trouble of reinstalling and checking. Sigh, this is unfortunate though.

I had the same issue, but noticed that it only occurred when I had the AdGuard agent active. With AdGuard active, my cpu usage of the process “node” was over 90%, and the user listed was “prey.”

HOWEVER, when I deselected the "Automatically filter applications” box under AdGuard > Preferences > Network, the issue was resolved! Back to normal!

I don’t know if y’all have AdGuard as well, or if the node cpu usage is due to something else. For me, I was able to solve the mystery and keep both apps running :smile:

If you deselect "Automatically filter applications”, AdGuard no longer blocks ads on Youtube while using Safari for example. What’s the use of having AdGuard installed at the point if you deselect "Automatically filter applications” ?