Prey not getting locations to where my laptop is correctly

Hey guys,

Look the location side of things with prey is not giving the correct location of my laptop. I dont know what is the problem because I have tested it on my sisters laptop (on the same network) and it gets the address right, and then I use google maps on my laptop and it gets it right.

My question is why is prey not getting it right? Why is it saying that my laptop is in hamilton NZ when its not?

Hi @Kiwiprobie, Are you using ethernet? :slight_smile:

Yes. But as I said that google gets my address right your software doesn’t. My sisters laptop is on wifi and yet it gets it right with both google and your app.

Hey @Kiwiprobie,

The prey client installed on the device is not able to get the location through the browser as you do when you get it using google services, what we do is scan the nearest wifi networks and use other services to get your location. So, when the device is connected using ethernet is not able to scan the wifi networks available and consequently can’t get a good location.
We’re researching for a better solution but for now is what we have.

Kind Regards,
Javo

I thought you guys would have at least had some improvements before this update, because I have been bringing this to your attention since I have been using prey. But at least your working on it.