Prey on ubuntu =(

I’ve been trying to install prey on ubuntu but when I download it and try and install it from ubuntu software it says installation failed
"Detailed errors from the package manager follow:

apt transaction returned result exit-failed"

I’ve tried installing it through cmd line. It doesn’t bring up any errors but when it finishes nothing happens. I’ve tried forcing it to show GUI like I’ve read online but everything I try it states path not found.

Any suggestions?

Hi @Dizzy_Bean,
Could you please try with this command: sudo dpkg -i prey_1.7.5_amd64-deb
Please let me know how it works!
Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Hi,

I copied into cmd what you wrote get this message "dpkg: error processing archive prey_1.7.5_amd64-deb (–install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
prey_1.7.5_amd64-deb
"

I know it looks like I haven’t downloaded prey but I have!

Hey @Dizzy_Bean, you have to set the path where the file is.
For example if the file is in your Downloads directory, the command should be like sudo dpkg -i /home/%yourUser%/Downloads/prey_1.7.5_amd64-deb

Javo :slight_smile:

Gosh I feel dense now. Thank you. It seems to be working now!

Except for…
I have a dual boot system and I first installed prey on windows partition and it worked and now i have it on linux but only the linux is showing on my prey account. I was happy to use two slots for the computer but now I’m wondering if trying to track same laptop twice has effectively removed the windows half of my laptop from prey account?

Ach and to follow that it isn’t working for linux either. It says its last location is about 20 miles from where I am and it cant locate the device . Located it once when I first installed prey and now cant find it. I know the laptops online becuase I’m typing from it!

Does the device appears online on the control panel? What about if you try an action like an alarm or alert?

Why Prey version in Ubuntu Repositories is stuck at version 0.6.2-1.1 while the one downloadable from the site is 1.8.1?

I’m running prey on Ubuntu, just use this fix I created for you guys:

https://community.preyproject.com/t/mint-ubuntu-easy-installer-for-you-all/