I want a small GPS device that I can place in/on my vehicle (a motorcycle in my case) to be able to track the vehicle in case of theft. There are many such devices on the market already, but they have problems. The companies that make them may not be trustworthy and we don't know who has access to the data coming from the device. All of the open source solutions I have found are overly complicated, I would have to roll my own server etc.
Here is a list of features I think this device should have:
- Small size. Can be hidden inside the vehicle somewhere, tossed into a bag, or attached to anything that needs protection.
- Battery backup. It should probably be able to go for at least a week without external power.
- Rugged/waterproof. Can attach to the outside of a vehicle without worry.
- 12/24V power compatible. Could be wired into the power system of a vehicle for permanent installation.
- GSM radios. So it can report its location.
I would love to buy such a device and pay the monitoring fee to be able to track my motorcycle. If there is already a solution out there that will meet my needs, please let me know.