RESOLVED - Update 1.8.2 Not Downloading

I’ve just had an e-mail telling me that Update 1.8.2 has not downloaded automatically and i should go to the Prey site and install it manually. However when i try to download it, my virus protection (Avira) quarantines it. If I am then very bold and restore it from quarantine, it still fails to run telling me that it is not the right software for my installation (which runs Windows 10). What I find odd is that my wife’s laptop, which also runs Windows 10 and uses Avira, seems to have updated itself automatically wiothout any intervention from me.

Hi @TimR,

It’s a little weird because the installers are signed so the antivirus shouldn’t do that. It’s possible to whitelist the .exe file? You can also try to download it from https://github.com/prey/prey-node-client/releases/download/v1.8.2/prey-windows-1.8.2-x64.exe.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for your help. I’m afraid nothing has worked so far. Downloading from the alternative site gives the same result. I have tried accessing my virus checker and removing the downloaded file from quarantine, but it still can’t get past the virus checker to execute. I am also hitting another peculiarity. I have tried switching off the virus checker completely. But then when I am asked whether I want to save the file, I am told I don’t have the authority to save the file, despite the fact that I am my own adnministrator and the sole user - I am still chasing that issue, which seems to affect just this particular download.

I’ll come back when I have done a bit more experimenting, unless anyone has any other ideas?

Another bit of information which just adds to the mystery. Today I got the option to download an update to Adobe Flash Player - I have set the option to ask me first… It downloaded without any problem, allowed me to save it, and I was then able to run the downloaded .exe file with no problem. No difficulty with my virus checker, and no suggestion that I didn’t have the authority to save it. But I have just gone back and tried to update Prey again, with the same result as before.

Hey @TimR,

Thanks for your feedback, I’m just gonna try to replicate your problem installing Avira. Hope I can find the problem.
Let me know if you try something else.

I need to update you. To fill in the details, laptop running Windows 10, and normal browser is Firefox.

Thought this might be something to do with trying to access via Firefox. Tried running Edge

First attempt to download, Avira came up with a security alert: “Access to file ‘C\Users\Tim…\prey-windows 1.8.2 x64.exe’ containing the pattern of ‘TR/Diztakin.hidzg’ was blocked.”

Switched off Avira and tried again
File appeared and allowed me to specify ‘save’.
File appeared to download, but at the end of the download it reported ‘this file couldn’t be downloaded’
Tried again, and the same thing happened, but the earlier download was listed and appeared to be complete.

Ran that file, and it warned that it would uninstall earlier version, but I let it run, and Prey downloaded. Warned I would have to logon to Prey again. Have done that and all appears good, but device has not yet connected to Prey.

I wasn’t happy that all was well, so I decided to try going back to 1.8.1. But I could not uninstall whatever version I had running at the time. Uninstall would not work, and I could not just delete the prey folder. Eventually managed to remove everything by following the instructions for a manual uninstall. Then reinstalled version 1.8.1 since I still had the download file saved.

To verify operation I then tried to update the device location, but I am now getting the response ‘unable to reach device’.

And any attempt to update to version 1.8.2 reverts to exactly the same problem as we started with - Avira blocks access with the same message as above!

Hi @TimR, I was able to replicate the issue and I’m working on it.
I’m gonna let you know when is fixed :slight_smile:
Javo

@TimR please check your Direct Messages :slight_smile:

Installed very smoothly - thank you. Only issue I have now is that the laptop is not detecting itself. It reports ‘Unable to get the devices location on time’.

Does the rest of the actions work?

Looks like I have solved this one. I suspected that my Prey account did not detect the laptop with the updated software as being a device already on the account, and would not accept it because I have three devices on the account. Solution was to delete the laptop from the account and then add it as a new device. We are back cinnected. Many thanks for all your help.

Hi, I am having this exact same problem with Avira downloading this package to install on my latop. FYI - it is running Windows 7 Professional. What’s the solution?

Hello Bill

Look back at the messages between me and Javo last month. You will see that he sent me a direct message, which brought me an attachment which was a version of the update download which worked for me. Really outstanding service for someone who is using the free version!

You need to get in discussion with him. The only further problem I had, which is mentioned in my last message, was that my Prey account would not detect the laptop on which I had installed the updated software - you won’t see the rest of this dialogue because it is in direct messages between Javo and me. The answer was to delete the laptop from the account and then add it again as a new device.

But first you need to get the update software!

Thanks Tim - I’ll wait for Javo to comment.

Javo - I am having the same problem downloading and installing 1.8.2. What is the solution?

Hey guys,

Try downloading prey now, I’m going deeper reviewing this issue, but for now it’s ok.
Let me know if you have any other problem.

Regards,
Javo

Thanks - worked this time!