I need to update you. To fill in the details, laptop running Windows 10, and normal browser is Firefox.
Thought this might be something to do with trying to access via Firefox. Tried running Edge
First attempt to download, Avira came up with a security alert: "Access to file ‘C\Users\Tim…\prey-windows 1.8.2 x64.exe’ containing the pattern of ‘TR/Diztakin.hidzg’ was blocked."
Switched off Avira and tried again
File appeared and allowed me to specify ‘save’.
File appeared to download, but at the end of the download it reported ‘this file couldn’t be downloaded’
Tried again, and the same thing happened, but the earlier download was listed and appeared to be complete.
Ran that file, and it warned that it would uninstall earlier version, but I let it run, and Prey downloaded. Warned I would have to logon to Prey again. Have done that and all appears good, but device has not yet connected to Prey.
I wasn't happy that all was well, so I decided to try going back to 1.8.1. But I could not uninstall whatever version I had running at the time. Uninstall would not work, and I could not just delete the prey folder. Eventually managed to remove everything by following the instructions for a manual uninstall. Then reinstalled version 1.8.1 since I still had the download file saved.
To verify operation I then tried to update the device location, but I am now getting the response 'unable to reach device'.
And any attempt to update to version 1.8.2 reverts to exactly the same problem as we started with - Avira blocks access with the same message as above!