Also cannot install Prey on my laptop

• **Affected device - laptop
  • Windows Version 10 - 1909
  • Part of Prey not working Installation

Tried installing Prey and got an installation error. The installation then hung up and did not complete (see screenshot 1, below).

I, then, tried to install, again, but got a message that Prey was already installed and did I want the process to uninstall the previous version. I replied “Yes” and then got an error message saying to remove the C:\Windows\Prey folder. But, as you can see from screenshot 2, below, there is no such folder.

I tried using the Microsoft supplied troubleshooter mentioned in another post but it could not find the issue.

Sorry, the system will only allow me to paste one image. So screenshot 2 is missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gary

I have the same problem with my Acer laptop running Win 10 1909. It started when my CPU usage was 99% all the time. I noticed two Prey services that were running under Java Script. I deleted them and uninstalled Prey, then my CPU usage went down to 3%. I tried installing the latest Prey, it failed, then I tried installing an older Prey, it also failed exactly as the other user stated. The Prey install log says:
CAQuietExec: Adding firewall rule for C:\Windows\Prey\versions\1.8.2\bin\node.exe
CAQuietExec: Installing init scripts.
CAQuietExec: Error! Command failed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /s /c “sc create CronService binPath= “C:\Windows\Prey\wpxsvc.exe” start= auto error= normal DisplayName= “Cron Service””
CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: Command line returned an error.
CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: CAQuietExec Failed
CustomAction CommandConfigHooksPostInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 17:16:40: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action ended 17:17:10: INSTALL. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (B8:A0) [17:17:10:860]: Product: Prey Anti-Theft – Installation failed.

MSI (s) (B8:A0) [17:17:10:875]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Prey Anti-Theft. Product Version: 1.8.2. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Prey, Inc… Installation success or error status: 1603.

=== Logging stopped: 6/5/2020 17:17:10 ===