Can't add Android device

I logged into Prey on Android on new device (Pixel 3 XL up to date on Android 10), gave full permissions to everything. Screenshot of app on phone says "current status protected)

However, phone doesn’t show up as a device (currently only have one device, a laptop) in either the phone or the web app. E.G. being protected is useless if I can’t actually track it.

Scanning the QR code from Lens or Camera does nothing. In settings, I can see the app already has the API code. Not sure why the QR scanning doesn’t happen in-app, e.g. the way Signal does it.

Anyhow, any ideas on how to actually make this work on the new phone?

Hi there,

I’m sorry to read that. Could you please:

1. Go to Android Settings > Security & Location > Device admin apps and disable Prey as one of them.
  2. Go to Android Settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Prey > Storage and clear data .
  3. Go to step #1 and reenable Prey as an admin app.
  4. Open the Prey app again. It’ll ask for your email and password, and that will get the device added to your Prey account once you finish the process.

(Instructions could be a bit different depending on your Android version.)

The problem is caused by Google’s cloud backup, which restored the config file from your old Android device into the new one. These steps will force the new unit to be added.

Please let me know how it goes!

1 Like

Perfect, Fabian!

This worked to solve the issue. Thank you for clear instructions, timely response, and, as a very nice bonus, an explanation of the issue.

A+++++