RESOLVED - Difficulty installing on Linux

I’ve tried to install several versions (1.6.x, 1.8.x, etc) of Prey on Ubuntu 18.04, 18.10 & Mint Cinnamon on this HP Stream 11.

I’ve been able to get to the GUI, after using dpkg to install the deb file. However, the install ultimately fails when it tries to add the machine. I noticed the config file does not have my API key specified. I added and still does not work.

Here’s the error that I get when I put my login info into the GUI.

EXCEPTION! 139830991480640:error:140943FC:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad record mac:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/s3_pkt.c:1472:SSL alert number 20

Error: 139830991480640:error:140943FC:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad record mac:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/s3_pkt.c:1472:SSL alert number 20

I’ve verified that I have java and nodeJS installed.

Any ideas?

Hi there,

Could you please run the following command to completely uninstall Prey?

sudo /usr/lib/prey/current/bin/prey config hooks pre_uninstall && sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/prey /var/log/prey.log /etc/prey

Then download the latest available package for your architecture from here: https://github.com/prey/prey-node-client/release. At the moment it’s 1.8.3.

Then, as you know already, install it using dpkg.

sudo dpkg -i {path to prey}

And finally install all required dependencies using this command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

This will trigger the web setup dialog. If it doesn’t, you can either re-trigger the web dialog,

sudo /usr/lib/prey/current/bin/prey config panel -f

Or force the local config GUI.

sudo /usr/lib/prey/current/bin/prey config gui -f

Please let me know how it goes!

Fabian,

I went ahead and performed what you recommended. Unfortunately I’m still seeing the same error… Anything else I can get you to help troubleshoot?

Could you please attach a screenshot here?

Also, if the problem comes from the GUI, you can skip it altogether. Just run the prey config panel command instead.

Fabian, appreciate the help. I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on this machine and Prey worked without a problem. Again, thanks!

1 Like

It seems misleading to mark this thread / problem as resolved. For, the poster solved the problem of installing on Linux only by . . giving up.

I had pretty much the same problem on Linux. As soon as I disabled the firewall the issue went away so it’s a matter of having the correct firewall rule in place, if using a firewall. Blowing away Linux and installing Windows is a pretty extreme solution and the OP must have just been trying Linux out.